Who is Trevor Rees-Jones and where is he now? Princess Diana's bodyguard who survived car crash in Paris
PRINCESS Diana was was killed in a car crash in 1997, alongside her partner Dodi Fayed and driver Henri Paul.
Bodyguard and former paratrooper Trevor Rees-Jones survived the horror smash but suffered life-changing injuries. Here is what we know about him and where he is now.
Who is Trevor Rees-Jones?
Trevor Rees-Jones – who now calls himself Trevor Rees – was born on March 3, 1968, in Rinteln, Germany.
He was the middle of three sons of British Army surgeon Colin Rees and his nurse wife Gill.
When he was ten, the family moved to Oswestry, Shropshire, and he went to Fitzalan School where he met his future wife Sue Jones.
Trevor enrolled in the Combined Cadet Force at school and after his A-levels joined the 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment, serving one tour in Northern Ireland.
In 1995, he went to work as a private security guard for Harrods owner Mohammed al-Fayed, father to Dodi Fayed, and later the People's Princess.
When did he become Princess Diana's bodyguard?
It was in his security job for al-Fayed that Trevor came to be guarding al-Fayed's playboy son Dodi, and later his girlfriend Princess Diana.
He accompanied them on a holiday in the summer of 1997, when the tragic car crash took place.
The bodyguard later rubbished claims by his former boss that Dodi and Diana had chosen an engagement ring together in Monte Carlo a week before they died in Paris.
On August 30, Dodi and Diana stopped in Paris on their way to London after spending nine days on Dodi's yacht in the Med.
They intended to stay at the Ritz hotel owned by Dodi's father, but found themselves besieged by paparazzi.
Ritz head of security Henri Paul hatched a plan to leave by the back door to dodge photographers and drive to Dodi's apartment near the Champs Elysées.
Trevor told the 2008 inquest in London: "I wasn't happy as it meant Dodi would be splitting the security officers, but I went along with it.
"Initially I had been told that Dodi and Diana would travel without security and I said this would not happen, that I would travel in the vehicle with them."
The black Mercedes S280 limo driven by Mr Paul crashed into a pillar at 65mph as it sped through the Pont de l’Alma road tunnel in the early hours of August 31.
The driver and Dodi were killed instantly, and Diana died soon after in hospital.
What injuries did Trevor Rees-Jones suffer in car crash?
Trevor suffered severe brain and chest injuries and every bone in his face was broken. He spent ten days in a coma.
Surgeons used 150 pieces of titanium to rebuild his smashed face, using family photos as a guide.
An investigation found none of the four people in the car were wearing seat belts.
Tests showed the driver was three times the drink drive limit.
An inquest jury found Diana was unlawfully killed by Mr Paul's dangerous driving and the actions of the pursuing paparazzi.
Where is he now?
Trevor is now reportedly working as the global head of security for vaccine giant AstraZeneca.
The Mail tells how he has rebuilt his life since the infamous crash 24 years ago.
His LinkedIn profile describes him as being based in Shrewsbury and having experience in international operations.
Following the crash in 1997, Trevor returned to England and quit his job with Mr al-Fayed.
He was interviewed four times by French authorities but said he could not recall the incident.
He later claimed his boss had put "intense" pressure on him to remember details from the night his son was killed.
Trevor moved back to Shropshire where he was nursed back to health by mum Gill and step-dad Ernie. He worked for a time in a friend's sports shop.
In 2000, he published a book called The Bodyguard's Story: Diana, The Crash, And The Sole Survivor, which earned him a rumoured £1million.
But most of that is said to have been eaten up by legal fees after he was embroiled in a series of lawsuits with Mr al-Fayed in England and France.
He had split from his first wife Sue months before the crash. In 2003 he married second wife Ann Scott, a teacher.
Trevor recovered well enough to turn out for a local rugby team in North Wales and set up a business as a security consultant.
In 2008, he worked in war-torn Iraq before he was called to give evidence at the inquest, his face still deeply scarred more than a decade on.
He told the coroner he had vague memories of a motorbike alongside the vehicle, and a woman's voice calling out "Dodi" but he was not sure if they were real memories.
He also denied claims by Mr al-Fayed that he was part of a cover up after Diana and Dodi were killed by MI6 on the orders of Prince Philip.
Trevor said: "I am not part of a conspiracy to suppress the truth at all. All I have ever done is give the truth as I see it."
In 2016, Diana's former police protection officer Ken Wharfe blamed Trevor for letting the princess get into the Mercedes.
Source: Read Full Article