‘Selfie obsessed’ mum, 23, who killed daughter, 3, after calling her a f***ing brat is jailed for 15 years

A 'SELFIE obsessed' mum was today jailed for 15 years for killing her three-year-old daughter after calling her a f***ing brat."

Nicola Priest, 23, was handed the sentence for manslaughter after little Kaylee-Jayde Priest was found dead with chest and abdominal injuries last August.

Callum Redfern, Priest's 22-year-old ex-lover, was also sentenced to 14 years in jail for the death of the child.

The mum was also handed a concurrent sentence of three years for a child cruelty charge.

Sentencing today, Mr Justice Foxton QC said: "On the eveing of August 8 you Redfern went to Priest's flat. The two of you went to have sex. Kaylee wanted to stay up and play. There is no direct evidence of what happened next.

"Kaylee was sick more than once during the night as a result of the severe beating. You lost your tempers and it is clear you were joint participants in that assault.

"You both knew you had seriously injured Kaylee."

The judge added: "You, Priest did nothing to seek medical help. A prompt call could have saved Kaylee's life. You both lied repeatedly during interviews.

"From the severity of the injuries caused by the assault it is clear there was an intention to cause serious harm. The injuries were caused by a ferocious assault.

"You and Redfern were equally responsible. You had ample opportunity to raise any concerns. Kaylee was very vulnerable and you were in a position of trust. You did nothing to summon help."


The judge added that Priest did show some degree of remorse – and said that he believed it was her who who injured Kaylee's sternum.

Haunting CCTV footage showed the mum from Edgbaston, Birmingham, with her daughter Kaylee-Jayde just hours before the tot was found dead at their flat on August 9 last year.

On Thursday, a jury convicted Priest of manslaughter after hearing she dialled 999 – but Kaylee had been "dead before the call was made".

The tot, described in court as a "happy child", died from serious chest and abdominal injuries.

She also suffered historical injuries – including broken ribs, lower leg fractures, and a broken sternum, Birmingham Crown Court heard.

Priest and Callum Redfern blamed each other during their trial, but were at the time in a "close sexual relationship".

Both were unanimously cleared of murder but convicted of Kaylee's manslaughter on Thursday.

Jurors heard how Priest would hit Kaylee around the head and refer to her as a "f***ing brat", while the little girl was also heard crying "in a fearful tone".

On one occasion, neighbours in a flat below at Kingshurst House, Solihull, heard a bang above and then Kaylee crying, before allegedly hearing Priest say: "I'll just say she fell off the bed."


The same residents claimed they noticed that "when Kaylee cried, the response appeared to be to drown out her crying with music".

In a text message exchange on July 24 2020, days before Kaylee's death, Priest told Redfern: "I'm gonna kill her… because she keeps leaving the living room or going in the kitchen, so I've paled (hit) her one and smacked her for sh**ting in her nappy."

Redfern said: "Good – give her one from me."

Priest replied: "I will, babe."

Three days later, Redfern messaged Priest saying: "I'm going to keep the little brat away from me… sick of your spunking daughter."

Prosecutors said the messages painted a vivid picture of the "uncaring attitude from Priest and Redfern towards Kaylee".

The court was also shown a video of Priest dancing around in her room while miming to a song in a TikTok video she posted 45 days after Kaylee’s death.

Opening the case at the start of the trial, prosecution barrister Andrew Smith QC said: "The prosecution case is that her death was caused by her having received serious injuries to her chest and abdomen in a sustained assault on August 8 of last year.

"That intentional assault occurred when both of the defendants were alone with Kaylee-Jayde."


From the time Priest moved into the flat in mid-2019, neighbours heard her "shouting with real regularity" at Kaylee, including comments like "Shut up", "Go away" or "Leave me alone" – and "never anything positive or kind".

In CCTV played to court, Kaylee-Jayde and her mum were seen together, just hours before the youngster's fatal collapse, using a lift at the block of flats where they lived.

The footage showed no physical contact between the pair, with Priest neglecting even to reach out to hold her daughter's hand.

Priest was also found guilty of cruelty to a child, relating to the youngster's historical injuries, but Redfern was cleared of that charge.

In a statement released through police after the verdicts, Kaylee's gran Debbie Windmill said the impact of her death would live with her for the rest of her life.

She said: "I could never stop staring at the smile on her beautiful face.

"I loved every moment watching her develop to nearly school age; preparing to buy my first grandchild her pre-school uniform was something that filled me with such happiness.

"I couldn't wait to see her in it, but this opportunity was stolen from me in the most brutal of ways.

"Everybody deserves the gift of life. Kaylee-Jayde deserved to show the world who she could have been and what greatness she could have brought to this world.

"Nanny will forever hold you in her heart."

    Source: Read Full Article