Secoriea Turner, 8, shot dead ‘after mayor failed to move armed BLM protesters,' family says as they sue for $16M

SECORIEA Turner was fatally shot "after a mayor failed to move armed BLM protesters," her family says.

The family of Secoriea – the eight-year-old girl who was killed near the Wendy's restaurant in Atlanta, Georgia, where Rayshard Brooks was killed by a police officer – are suing the City of Atlanta for $16million.

Secoriea was sitting in her parent’s car when an exchange of gunfire struck and killed her on July 4, 2020.

A notice of intent to sue, obtained by Fox 5 Atlanta, states: "Mayor Bottoms and other city leaders were aware that there had been multiple shootings and assaults in the University Avenue area and that armed persons staffing the makeshift barricade were responsible for most of those acts of violence.

"Mayor Bottoms and the City officials turned a blind eye and allowed lawlessness, vigilantism, and violence to erode and disrupt the area surrounding the Wendy’s at 125 University Ave.

"Instead, City officials failed to protect their community, and it was their blatant disregard for the safety and well-being of the City’s inhabitants that led to the shooting death of Secoriea, which was foreseeable and avoidable."

Two other city leaders named in the filing were Interim Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant and Atlanta City Councilmember Joyce Sheperd, according to the report.

The news outlet was told that city leaders have 30 days to resolve Secoriea's case before they move forward with legal proceedings.

The filing reportedly states that the family is seeking $12 million in damages from the city in Secoriea's death.

They are also seeking $4million for property damage and injuries obtained by the young girl's mom and boyfriend.

The little girl was with her mom and a friend in the car when the driver was attempting to enter an entrance with illegally placed barricades, just two doors down from where Rayshard Brooks was killed by a police officer on June 12.

Someone in the group opened fire to the vehicle, which struck Secoriea, and injured two others.

The driver took Secoriea to Atlanta Medical Center but she did not survive.

The suspect charged in the death of Secoriea denied that he had anything to do with her murder — but turned himself in about two weeks after the fatalshooting.

Julian Conley, 19, has been charged with felony murder and aggravated assault in the shooting.

His attorney, Jackie Patterson, said Conley was peacefully protesting and witnessed the shooting — but didn’t open fire, although he said he was armed.

In the aftermath of Secoriea's death, Atlanta Mayor Bottoms said: “You can’t blame this on a police officer. You can’t say this about criminal justice reform."

"We have talked about this movement that is happening across America at this moment in time when we have the ears and the interest of people across this country and across this globe who are saying they want to see change," she said.

"We're fighting the enemy within when we are shooting each other up in our streets."

“An eight-year-old girl was killed last night because her mother was riding down the street. If Secoriea was not safe last night, none of us are safe.”

Source: Read Full Article