Prince Philip, 99, in hospital after feeling ‘unwell’ – and Duke of Edinburgh will remain in for a ‘few days’

PRINCE Philip, 99, has been taken to hospital after feeling unwell, the Palace said today.

The Duke of Edinburgh is said to be in "good spirits" after being driven to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.

Follow our Prince Philip live blog for the very latest on the Duke's condition



It is understood the illness is not Covid.

Buckingham Palace said in a statement: "His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.

"The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell. 

"The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest."

It comes as…

  • A source said Prince Philip was in good spirits after being taken to hospital
  • He and the Queen have been staying at Windsor during the pandemic
  • The couple received their Covid jab last month
  • The Royal Family have faced a busy week with Princess Eugenie giving birth to a son
  • Prince Harry is said to be upset about losing his military titles as the Megxit review looms
  • Harry and Meghan will give a sitdown interview with Oprah next month

It is understood the royal, who turned 99 last year, travelled by car and it was not an emergency.

The Queen remains at Windsor, where the couple have been since Christmas.

The royal couple, who had their Covid jabs in January, did not travel to Sandringham for the festive period due to the pandemic.

Buckingham Palace would not divulge what caused the 99-year-old's hospital stay or whether it was a pre-existing condition.

But Prince Philip has been admitted to hospital with various ailments over the years including bladder infections, a blocked coronary artery and for abdominal surgery

Two years ago, Prince Philip was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.


He was flown from Sandringham to London for “observation and treatment” in December 2019.

The royal was also involved in a car crash in January 2019 after being in collision with another vehicle near the Sandringham estate.

In April 2018 he had a hip replacement operation but had recovered well for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding a month later.

He has been by the Queen's side for seven decades of marriage, becoming one of the hardest working royals.

Since 1952 he attended 22,219 solo engagements and 637 overseas tours in a career marked by his famous gaffes.

He then retired from his public duties at the age of 96 in 2017 after 65 years of public life.

But despite retiring, the prince has remained active – sending a message to frontline workers a the outbreak of Covid thanking them for their work.

He also made a rare public appearance last year to pass on his role as Colonel-in-Chief of The Rifles to Camilla Parker Bowles.








Source: Read Full Article