NYPD questions suspect in fatal Harlem subway fire
Police are questioning a suspect in the tragic subway fire that killed an MTA motorman and injured 16 others, sources said Monday.
The unidentified 49-year-old man, who is at the 24th Precinct stationhouse, has been arrested over 30 times for crimes including robbery and assault, according to sources.
The blaze tore through a No. 2 train at the 110th Street-Central Park North station at 3:15 a.m. Friday and ultimately took the life of 36-year-old MTA train operator Garrett Globe, police said.
First responders found Goble — a married father of a 5-month-old baby and a six-year MTA employee — unconscious on the tracks and rushed him to Mt. Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.
Police believe the two-alarm fire, which is being investigated as arson, started in a shopping cart that was found badly burned on the train.
They are looking into whether the blaze is connected to three smaller fires that had been set on platforms along the No. 2 line at around the same time, sources said.
Source: Read Full Article