Meet Wuhan's first post-lockdown baby

Meet Wuhan’s first post-lockdown baby: Boy weighing 7lb 3oz is born three minutes after the city lifted coronavirus quarantine measures

  • The boy was born at the Hubei Maternity and Child Health Hospital today
  • Footage shows a hazmat-clad medic showing the crying boy to his parents
  • His father hoped that his son would bring new hope to the former epicentre
  • Wuhan saw travel restrictions lifted at midnight after 76 days of lockdown

A healthy boy born three minutes past midnight on Wednesday has become the first baby to be delivered in a post-lockdown Wuhan.

The child weighed 3,275 grams (7lb 3oz) and measured 50cm (19.6 inches) long, according to state media.

Wuhan, where the coronavirus pandemic first emerged in December, saw all movement restrictions lifted at midnight after it had been locked down for 76 days.

A video released by People’s Daily on short-video app Douyin shows a medic donning a protective suit and a face shield while presenting the newborn boy to his parents in Wuhan

The footage also shows a medic holding the baby’s right foot and stamping it on a birth certificate before swaddling him in a duvet at the Hubei Maternity and Child Health Hospital

The boy was born at the Hubei Maternity and Child Health Hospital, according to state newspaper People’s Daily.

A video posted by the news outlet to Douyin, a popular short-video app, shows the moment a medic presented the crying boy to his parents in a delivery room. The medic was donning a protective suit and a face shield.

The footage also shows a medical worker holding the baby’s right foot and stamping it on a birth certificate before swaddling him in a small duvet.

The baby’s father told People Daily that he hoped his son would bring new hope to Wuhan.

His mother, known by her surname Yang, told Hubei TV that both she and her son had suffered great hardship together with Wuhan.

She said she was excited to welcome a new chapter of life with the child. 

The couple has given the nickname ‘Little Fish’ to their son. 

The baby’s father told People Daily that he hoped his son would bring new hope to Wuhan

The residents of Wuhan were today permitted to leave the city for the first time after it was sealed off on January 23 to stop the spread of the bug.

At 00.50am on Wednesday, trains carrying people out of the city began running, and major highways also began opening up.

However, some people are fearing that a new wave of infections could occur if restrictions are eased too quickly.

A leading respiratory expert this week warned that Wuhan could have up to 20,000 coronavirus carriers, who show no symptoms but can pass the virus on.

The health crisis killed 2,572 people and infected 50,008 in the city of 11 million, according to the latest government statement. 

The death toll accounts for nearly 80 per cent of all 3,333 fatalities in China, according to official figures.

Yesterday, one person in Wuhan died of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, officials said.

Passengers queue at Wuhan city’s main rail station as the lockdown is lifted after 76 days

A woman wearing a protective face mask and pink overalls stands with her luggage next to the first official train departing from Wuhan

When the lockdown was lifted the topic quickly began trending on China’s Twitter-like Weibo platform.

‘Wuhan lifts lockdown’ and ‘Welcome back Wuhan’ were posted.

Some 55,000 people will leave Wuhan on Wednesday, according to ticket sales reviewed by state broadcaster CCTV.

At the height of the virus, Wuhan’s lockdown saw citizens forced into their homes by authorities.

And transport hubs and streets were desolate except for police patrols and emergency workers.

But restrictions in the city have dropped off in recent days as new infections significantly fell.

For the first time since the coronavirus pandemic began, mainland China reported no COVID-19-related deaths on Tuesday.

Leading expert estimates ‘20,000 silent carriers live in Wuhan’ 

Statistics from a recent census showed that between 0.15 and 0.3 per cent of the population could be the so-called ‘silent carriers’, Professor Yang Jiong has told Chinese state media. The picture shows two women wearing face masks riding a scooter in Wuhan on April 4

A leading respiratory expert has warned that Wuhan could have up to 20,000 coronavirus carriers who show no symptoms as the former epicentre prepares to lift its lockdown.

Professor Yang Jiong from the Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University urged the city’s residents to be ‘more careful’ following the removal of travel restrictions due to the movement of population.

Statistics from a recent census showed that between 0.15 and 0.3 per cent of the population could be the so-called ‘silent carriers’, the medic told Chinese state media.

Professor Yang, the leading expert of the hospital’s Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, said: ‘That means [Wuhan] has about 10,000 to 20,000 asymptomatic infections.

‘Although right now it seems that asymptomatic cases have relatively low infectivity, they are contagious after all, and [we] should still be on guard.’

Source: Read Full Article