David Dobrik apologizes for his ‘cowardly response’ to rape claims against Vlog Squad member Durte Dom

YOUTUBE star David Dobrik has apologized for his “cowardly response” to rape claims against ex-Vlog Squad member Durte Dom.

The 24-year-old has released a second apology video, admitting: “I’ve let a lot of people down.”


The second apology comes hours after Dobrik quit the photo app Dispo amid rape allegations against an ex-member of his squad. 

He'd already spoken about the allegation against Durte Dom on March 16.

And on March 22, reports Dexerto, Dobrik says in his updated apology: "I got consent to post the video, but even though I got consent, I should have never posted it.

"What I understand now… is she sent that text because she felt like she had to, and that’s f***ed up.

“It was cowardly of me to say in my last apology I ‘missed the mark’ because it’s f***ing gross, and I’m sorry.”

He explained that he would be “taking a short break” from social media because of the backlash.

The YouTube star added: “It doesn’t feel right to go back to posting how I had been, and it doesn’t feel right to go dark because I love what I do.

"But I feel like it’s important to show that change is possible and I’m learning. Maybe even forgiveness is possible."


Dobrik who co-founded the photo app Dispo, announced he would step down from Dispo's board in order to "not distract from the company’s growth".

Dominykas Zeglaitis — aka Durte Dom — is Dobrik's childhood pal and an ex-member of the Vlog Squad, a group of prankster YouTubers who live in a Los Angeles mansion.

Zeglaitis has been accused of raping an extra from one of their videos in 2018, according to Business Insider.

There are no media reports of any complaint made to the police, or any investigation into the alleged assault.

The allegations, which surfaced last week, led to Dobrik losing more than 100,000 subscribers.

Spark Capital, a major Dispo investor, said it had decided to “sever all ties with the company”.

In a statement, Spark Capital said: "In light of recent news about the Vlog Squad and David Dobrik, the cofounder of Dispo, we have made the decision to sever all ties with the company.

"We have stepped down from our position on the board and we are in the process of making arrangements to ensure we do not profit from our recent investment in Dispo."

Hours later, Dobrik stepped down from the board.

Dispo, in a statement to TechCrunch, said: "David has chosen to step down from the board and leave the company to not distract from the company’s growth.

"Dispo’s team, product, and most importantly our community, stand for building a diverse, inclusive, and empowering world."

Zeglaitis' accuser says she and some student friends went to the Vlog Squad mansion to film a video.

The alleged victim was unaware ofZeglaitis, but her pals are believed to have known that he played a sex addict character in Vlog Squad videos.

At the mansion, they were allegedly given alcohol, with friends saying that the woman, in particular, was given enough to get drunk.

The woman alleges that she was later raped by Zeglaitis when she was unable to consent to sex.

Dobrik allegedly filmed her as she entered Zeglaitis' bedroom, posting the video days later as a "threesome" plot with the title "SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE PLAYED WITH FIRE!!".

The video was taken down at the woman's request – but had already been watched five million times.

She also said that her friends were given alcohol, despite being too young to buy it themselves.

Zeglaitis has not responded to Business Insider's request for a comment.

Dobrik declined through a representative to comment when asked by New York Times.

He is one of the most popular YouTube stars with over 20million subscribers on his channel, along with millions of views per video.

Source: Read Full Article