Coastguard is stood down from search for 'fisherman swept from rocks'

Coastguard is stood down from major search for ‘fisherman swept from rocks’ into the water near Anglesey

  • HM Coastguard have called off a search for a fisherman who went missing
  • The fisherman was reportedly washed off the rocks at  Trearddur Bay, Wales

Rescue teams have stood down from a major search operation after failing to find a fisherman who was reportedly swept into the sea on an island near Anglesey

HM Coastguard have stood down from the search for a fisherman who was reportedly swept off rocks in Trearddur Bay, on Holy Island in North Wales.

The fisherman was reported missing at 7.05pm on 29 July before a major operation was launched involving RNLI lifeboats and an HM Coastguard helicopter.

The search was, however, called off at 4pm today after HM Coastguard resumed the operation this morning. 

HM Coastguard said ‘no one was found’ during the operation, which they noted was conducted in ‘strong winds’ and ‘rough sea conditions’. 

HM Coastguard called off a search for a fisherman who was reportedly swept into the sea off rocks in Trearddur Bay, Holy Island 

HM Coastguard coordinate an ‘extensive search’ for the fisherman which saw rope teams enter the sea to look for him

The Coastguard immediately began coordinating their response to the incident at Raven’s Point on Holy Island’s Trearddur Bay after it was reported at 7.05pm on 29 July.

It said an ‘extensive operation, including HM Coastguard rope team members going into the water, was conducted in rough sea conditions and strong winds but no one was found’.

An HM Coastguard helicopter and RNLI lifeboats from Trearddur Bay were involved in the search, which was resumed on Sunday morning at first light before it was called off shortly before 4pm.

Coastguard Rescue Teams from Cemaes, Holyhead, Moelfre, Penmon and Rhosneigr were also involved, while North Wales Police and the Welsh Ambulance Service were alerted.

HM Coastguard called off the search at 4pm on 29 July after failing to find the fisherman 

Andy Hodgson, a helmsman and spokesperson for Trearddur Bay lifeboat station, told the PA news agency: ‘We were searching from 7.05pm last night to midnight and then again from first light this morning through to late afternoon.

‘We were told there was somebody fishing, a friend of theirs had called the Coastguard to say their colleague, friend had been washed of the rocks.’

He said it was a man who was swept into the sea.

‘It was quite heavy weather, strong wind and a large swell,’ he said.

It comes after North Wales Police on Saturday said there was a ‘serious police incident currently ongoing at Ravens Point, Trearddur Bay’.

The force had urged members of the public to avoid the area.

Source: Read Full Article