Albanian human trafficking gang boss is jailed for nine years

Albanian human trafficking gang boss is jailed for nine years after smuggling migrants into UK on dinghies

  • Vladimir Bardoshi is the third member of the gang to be imprisoned in the UK
  • Bardoshi and his gang smuggled migrants from France on a fleet of dinghies
  • The Albanian people trafficker was extradited on a European Arrest Warrant 
  • The gang regularly abandoned boats and bought new ones using false names 

Vladimir Bardoshi, pictured, is the third member of a human trafficking gang to be jailed for smuggling migrants across the English Channel

The leader of a people smuggling gang bringing illegal migrants into the UK on a dinghy has been jailed.

Vladimir Bardoshi was the third member of the group of traffickers to be convicted after he was handed a nine-year prison sentence this week.

The 36-year-old from Albania was part of a network that transported illegal migrants from France in small inflatable boats, police said.

They made the treacherous journey by travelling across the English Channel at night and landing on beaches near to Deal in Kent.

A European Arrest Warrant was issued for Bardoshi, who co-ordinated the operation, initially in the UK before moving to Europe.

Bardoshi was tacked down in Spain in January and extradited back to the UK.

Last month he pleaded guilty to conspiracy to do an act to facilitate the commission of a breach of UK immigration law by a non-EU person.

His arrest warrant was issued following the conviction of two his associates, Feim Vata, 38, and Xhemal Baco, 26, in 2018, that saw each jailed for eight years.

Bardoshi’s gang used this dingy to smuggle migrants from France across the English Channel

It is thought that Baco and Vata completed the trip across the Channel at least three times and, whenever they needed to abandon the boat, would simply buy a new one with cash using false names.

One night in October 2018, Baco picked up six Albanian illegal migrants in France, with Baco driving the small inflatable boat across the English Channel.

When they arrived at the shore near Deal, Baco hid the boat in some bushes and he and the migrants got in a vehicle driven by Vata, before they were arrested by officers.

At Canterbury Crown Court on Tuesday, Bardoshi was jailed for nine years.

The final conviction follows months of investigation, led by South East Regional Organised Crime Unit (SEROCU) and helped by Kent Police, the National Crime Agency, UK Border Force, French Police, French Navy, National Maritime Information Centre, Immigration Enforcement and Thames Valley Police.

Detective Inspector Clair Trueman, from SEROCU’s investigation team, said: ‘This conviction represents a huge amount of work by authorities both here in the UK and across Europe. I’d like to pay tribute to the tenacity of everyone involved in this investigation, as their efforts have ensured that the leader of this dangerous group has been jailed.

‘When the men and the illegal migrants were arrested, we found them cold and wet, they had travelled in an overloaded inflatable boat with no life vests or navigation equipment and across a busy shipping lane in total darkness. It is remarkable that no one died during the extremely risky process.

‘I hope that this sentence serves as a stark warning to those looking to put lives in danger by bringing people into the UK illegally. We are committed to apprehending those involved and will do everything in our power to ensure they are stopped.’

Source: Read Full Article

Walmart, Target and More Stores in Vermont Ordered to Stop Selling Non-Essential Items


Big-box retailers like Walmart, Target and Costco will no longer be allowed to sell non-essential items like toys, clothing and more to customers in stores in Vermont.

The state’s Agency of Commerce and Community Development said in a press release last week that the move was made in order to reduce the number of people coming into stores amid the coronavirus outbreak.

“Large ‘big box’ retailers generate significant shopping traffic by virtue of their size and the variety of goods offered in a single location,” Secretary Lindsay Kurrle said in a statement. “This volume of traffic significantly increases the risk of further spread of this dangerous virus to Vermonters and the viability of Vermont’s health care system.”

The stores will remain open for essential items such as food and medicine, but things like arts and crafts, beauty, carpet and flooring, clothing, consumer electronics, books, music, movies, furniture, home and garden, jewelry, pain, photo services, sports equipment and toys must only be sold online, by phone, or through delivery or curbside pickup.

The release said that retailers have been asked to restrict access to those items, either by closing aisles or portions of the store, or removing them from the floor.

“We are directing these stores to put public health first and help us reduce the number of shoppers by requiring on-line order, delivery and curbside pickup whenever possible, and by stopping the sale of non-essential items,” said Kurrle.

The announcement followed an executive order from Gov. Phil Scott, which stated that only retail businesses that served basic human needs were still allowed to host customers in person.

That listed included grocery stores and pharmacies, fuel products and supply and hardware stores, though home improvement centers were ordered to close their showrooms and garden sections.

Stores like Target, Walmart and Costco have all taken individual precautions against the coronavirus, including Target’s announcement last week that it would be providing non-surgical face masks and gloves to employees, and that it would be monitoring the number of people allowed in stores.

Walmart installed sneeze guards and social distance markers in stores, and also said it would begin making gloves and masks available to employees. The company also began regulating entry to no more than five customers per 1,000 square feet.

Costco, meanwhile, has been limiting the number of people allowed in, and has been reserving the hours of 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. for customers 60 and older.

As of Monday afternoon, there were 512 confirmed cases and 22 deaths attributed to coronavirus in Vermont, according to The New York Times. There were 336,776 and 9,655 deaths in the United States.

As information about the coronavirus pandemic rapidly changes, PEOPLE is committed to providing the most recent data in our coverage. Some of the information in this story may have changed after publication. For the latest on COVID-19, readers are encouraged to use online resources from CDC, WHO, and local public health departments. To help provide doctors and nurses on the front lines with life-saving medical resources, donate to Direct Relief here.

Source: Read Full Article