Pet Food Company Expands Recall of Products After More than 70 Dogs Die, 80 Get Sick
Midwestern Pet Food, Inc. has expanded its recall of certain pet food products after more than 70 dogs died and 80 fell ill from eating the affected products, which contained potentially fatal levels of aflatoxins.
The family-owned business, based in Evansville, Indiana, said in a statement on Wednesday that the recall has been expanded to now include pet food products from their Sportmix, Pro Pac Originals, Splash, Sportstrail, and Nunn Better dry dog and cat food brands. The recalled products were produced in the company's Oklahoma Kitchen and have an expiration date on or before July 9, 2022. The facility identifier for the Oklahoma Kitchen, which can be found at the end of the date code on recalled products, is "05."
The Food and Drug Administration said in a statement on the recall that they've received reports that more than 70 pets have died and over 80 have fallen ill after eating Sportmix pet food. The FDA noted that not all of these cases have been officially confirmed as aflatoxin poisoning through laboratory testing or veterinary record review.
According to the FDA, the recalled products "may contain potentially fatal levels of aflatoxin," which, as the FDA states, is "a toxin produced by the mold Aspergillus flavus which can grow on corn and other grains used as ingredients in pet food." At high levels, aflatoxin can cause pets to become ill and die.
Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning in pets include sluggishness, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice and/or diarrhea, the FDA adds.
Pet owners who have fed their pets a recalled product from Midwestern Pet Food, Inc, should contact their veterinarian, especially if their pet is showing symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning. The FDA also states that there is no evidence to suggest that pet owners who handle products containing aflatoxin are at risk of aflatoxin poisoning.
Midwestern Pet Food Inc. announced the initial recall — which only included Sportmix products — on Dec. 30, saying in a statement that the company received reports that 28 dogs died and another eight got sick after eating select Sportmix brand pet foods that contained aflatoxins.
"Although this pet food recall is still unfolding, we are sharing the facts we have so far because the levels of aflatoxin found in the recalled pet food are potentially fatal," Amber McCoig, deputy director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) Division of Compliance, said in a statement at the time. "We are working quickly on this developing situation and will continue to update the public as new information becomes available. This is in service of FDA's mission to protect human and animal health."
The FDA is asking veterinarians to report potential aflatoxin cases through the Safety Reporting Portal or by calling their local FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinators. Pet owners can similarly report suspected cases to the FDA.
For the full list of the recalled pet food products, click here.
Midwestern Pet Foods Inc. has also shared that concerned pet owners can contact their Consumer Affairs department at 800-474-4163, ext. 455 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. CT, Monday through Friday, or by email at [email protected] for additional information.
Source: Read Full Article