How to make Swiss roll – recipe
Budding bakers are getting the chance to finesse their skills while in lockdown, with extra time to practice all manner of sweet and savoury treats. Social media is awash with banana bread, cookies, bread and more as Britons get creative in the kitchen.
One relatively simple but very tasty treat to make is the classic Swiss roll.
Made with sponge and jam, this bake is perfect when washed down with a cup of tea.
Despite the name “Swiss roll”, the cake is believed to have originated elsewhere in Central Europe, likely Austria.
There are variations to the recipe, with some adding both jam and cream to their sponge – others turning the sweet treat into a chocolate lovers dream.
Read More: How to make pizza at home
- How to cook jacket potato in the oven – how long
Below are two recipes for a Swiss roll, one original and another for chocolate.
Swiss roll recipe
- butter, to grease
- 2 large eggs
- 50g caster sugar, plus extra 2 tbsp to dust
- 50g self-raising flour, sieved
- 100g strawberry jam
1. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 16 x 28cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
2. Beat the eggs and sugar together for 5 mins with an electric hand whisk until thick and pale.
Gently fold in the flour in two batches using a large metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the tin and gently ease into the corners.
Bake for 10 to 12 mins until golden and firm. Be careful not to overbake, or the sponge will break when rolled.
Disused phone box turned into community larder to help villagers [INSIGHT]
Food recall: Co-op issue urgent and serious health warning [LATEST]
M&S launches Percy Pig ice cream [INSIGHT]
- How to make flapjacks
3. While the sponge is baking, sprinkle two tablespoons of sugar over a square of baking parchment. Warm the jam in the microwave for 20 seconds.
4. Turn the baked sponge onto the sugared paper.
Peel off the lining paper and spread the sponge with the warm jam.
Roll up from the short edge using the paper to help you then cool on a wire rack.
Chocolate Swiss roll recipe
- 3 large eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder, plus extra to dust
- 75g butter, at room temperature
- 125g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C
2. Sit a large heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, add the eggs and sugar and whisk for five to 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and creamy.
3. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and fold in gently with a metal spoon.
4. Line the Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, then pour mixture into the tin and level the top. Bake for 10minutes or leave sponge is springy to the touch.
5. Remove from the oven, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to cool on a wire rack.
6. Put the butter into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand whisk until creamy.
Then add a little at a time of icing sugar, then whisk.
Then put cooled sponge onto some greaseproof paper to help you, spread the mixture over the sponge and roll up, starting from one of the short sides.
Dust with more cocoa powder (if needed) and serve.
Source: Read Full Article