‘There is no excuse’: YouTube star James Charles apologizes for messaging with minors on Snapchat
YouTube makeup artist James Charles is apologizing for sending inappropriate messages to minors.
Charles, who in 2016 became the first male CoverGirl, spoke out Thursday in an almost 15-minute video titled “Holding Myself Accountable” addressing recent allegations from minors saying he sent them inappropriate photos and messages on Snapchat. Charles apologized, acknowledged the flirtatious messages and stated that he initially believed the minors were of age when was contacting them.
“These conversations should’ve never happened, point blank period,” the 21-year-old said in the video. “There is no excuse for it, there is no ifs, ands or buts and I take full responsibility for that.”
YouTube vlogger James Charles released a video admitting and apologizing for messaging underaged boys. (Photo: Jamie McCarthy, Getty Images for Marc Jacobs)
“To the guys involved in the situation, I wanna say ‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I flirted with you and I’m really sorry if I ever made you uncomfortable.’ It is completely unacceptable,” Charles continued.
Charles said his “reckless” behavior was rooted from a place of desperation in wanting a relationship.
“It is ridiculously embarrassing to admit this but I think I have to, and that is that I’m desperate,” he added, saying it was “absolutely not the case” that he was targeting minors.“My hope has always been to be in a relationship with somebody my age or older that I can relate to or that can make me laugh and unfortunately, I have not been able to find that person yet.”
This isn’t the first time the beauty guru, who has over 25.7 million YouTube subscribers, has been hit with allegations of inappropriate messaging. In February, a teenage boy said Charles groomed him and forced him to exchange photos on Snapchat. At the time, Charles released a statement on Twitter denying the allegations, and called them “completely false.”
In his latest video Charles addresses “two different people,” one who he says came forward last year and another who came forward recently, though Charles did not specify a date. According to Vulture, there were allegations against the YouTube vlogger in both February and March.
Charles said his initial reactions to previous allegations were “so stupid.”
“My immediate reaction, completely, honestly, was to be really really upset,” he said. “I wanted to get on camera and film another ‘No More Lies’ video where I gather all the receipts and all my screenshots and try to tell my side of the story and then just move on with the situation. And now looking back, that was so stupid.”
The YouTuber’s rise to fame began when he starred alongside Sofia Vergara, Beyoncé and Katy Perry in CoverGirl’s So Lashy campaign in 2016. He later went on the “Ellen Show” to share how he secured the landmark opportunity.
The Charles allegations come after recent sexual assault allegations against one of YouTuber David Dobrik’s “Vlog Squad.” The allegations resulted in Dobrik stepping down from the board of his photo-sharing app Dispo.
Source: Read Full Article